Skip to main content

Exhibition Panic



Some of the 108 little polymer clay  heads I made and  have  stitched into one of my  exhibition  pieces,
entitled "Pillars of Patience", depicting  the 108 suitors of Penelope from "The Odysssey - WS 2016 
With only five weeks to set up , I have a severe case of exhibition panic. Very few pieces of work completed and to make the situation more complex, is the pressure I'm feeling embarking on my first collaborative exhibition.  There are lots of  warnings from artists about the pitfalls of collaborating for an exhibition. However, I am one of the lucky ones  ... I chose an artist friend, Bobbi Oliver who is not only talented but has an amazing work ethic and produces absolutely stunning sculptures quickly. Not sure how Bobbi feels, but I am suspecting she might be thinking she has stepped into a scenario a bit like this, described by Cissi Tsang ... We haven't had a difference of opinion. we haven;t stamped around like raging dinosaurs. We haven't come to a stalemate. However, I have worked very very slowly. 
"A collaborative exhibition only works as well as the participants. The more people that are involved, the more opinions – and the greater the likelihood of disagreements. What starts out as a difference of opinion can devolve into immense butt hurt. This can derail the exhibition as people start spending more of their time stamping like a herd of angry dinosaurs. Or you might end up with a stalemate, with various people refusing to compromise. Then there’s the risk not everyone shares the same work ethic – or possess any work ethic, at all. Things are done slowly, or not done at all. You might end up having to take on extra responsibilities to pick up the slack."  from https://contrastly.com

What am I doing spending precious moments writing about my state of mind when I should be creating ?  Posting a few photos to prove to all , me especially, that I am making progress! These are only previews, Sorry I can't show really how much progress I have really made. Yes, Bobbi, I have finished a few!  I'll be ready by 19 May!
Close up of  "Pyramid of Prudence " - hand dyed fabric and digital print on fabric . WS 2016 

Close up of "Pyramid of Prudence" - figure of Telemachus semi visible. WS 2016 

 ' Growing Up" One of my handmade artist books for the exhibition
eco dyed paper, assorted fabrics, hand  stitching  and photo print on fabric. WS 2016 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting and Interpreting : Story #3 from the ATASDA Collaborative Golden Cape

  Connecting and Interpreting : Story #3 from the ATASDA Collaborative Golden Cape  Background : The Golden Cape is a collaborative project for ATASDA members and it celebrates the 50th Anniversary of ATASDA in 2024. 50 present day members have  received  an image of one of 50 yesteryear members artworks, to use as a muse, to create new artwork based on the past. Inspiration can come from textures, colours, style, design, subject, culture or history of the original artwork.  The new artworks have become panels stitched together to create a Golden Cape - an anniversary art wearable .   The Golden Cape will be displayed at various venues around Australia from May 2024.  Vine  (Exotica 2009 ATASDA exhibition ) : Norma Warnecke Meg Buchtmann chose Norma Warnecke's 2009 artwork shown in the ATASDA  exhibition "Exotica" as her inspiration for her contribution to the golden cape project .  Golden Cape panel 2023 : Meg Buchtmann Taken with the colour combinations and the 3D natur

Wednesday's Child /2

Work in Progress - 3 of the 193 for "Stitched Up"- Wilma Simmons   The work for the "Stitched Up " Project  continues. See the previous "Wednesday Child" post for the background to this art project celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Newcastle Industrial School. I have been documenting the progress of my work, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of the early stages of the "stick dolls" ... Here are some of the beginning steps.. Sticks collected while walking the bushland in my neighbourhood  Drying and getting rid of any insects - oven heat 75 degreesC for approx 1-2 hours.  Trimmed and cut if necessary  Ends sealed with matte sealing solution.  Drying  - solution goes on white but dries clear.  First wrapping - foil to create a body shape  Second wrapping - stretch fabric.  Third wrapping - fabric strips  Some stitching - more stitching and embellishment to come.  Follow thi

Gothic Tuesday

 It has been such a long time since I participated in a Tag Tuesday  challenge … This fortnight the theme is ‘Gothic’  and  it really engaged me because I really couldn’t at first think of anything I could create as a tag. I recently have  been playing with photo manipulation and editing so here is one of the results - a double exposed image of the interior of a gothic cathedral and the head of a sculpture I made a few years ago . I also added a few touches of gold leaf and coloured a few areas of the image with Prisma pencil to add some depth. I was thinking the gothic arches created mitred headgear ?  Or is just a spectre of a saint interred in the cathedral crypt? … it’s gothic!